Friday, April 17, 2009

week 4 - You're a third of the way there

1) it's a hospital.
2) I am working ina hospital called Saint Vincent Hospital. There a many kind of work that the professionels does. For example working as a docter, nurse office, management, supervising etc...
3) The hospital is located in Manhattan170 West 12th Street, N.Y 10011. Comparing to my school neighborhood, my internship neighborhood is very busy because that's in Manhattan where money runs a lot according to the businesses. Rather than that, the neighborhood is very calm and you can get all your needs in one place.
4) I actually have two mentors. My first mentor is the head director of the volunteer department. We call her sister Patricia. She's very educated, organized and strict because she like the work to be well done. She consist that her interns always have to wear professionel cloths and maintain a perfect attendence. My other mentor is named cheril. She's the supervisor of the transportation department. She's a very nice person. She has no problem and she like to work with her interns in a yoyful atmosphere. Everytime I see her I think of ms Sherine because they have kind of a familiar name and they are both nice people.
5) So far when I work at the nursing floor, I talk to the patients and I make sure they fell comfortable talking with me and they are getting help with their lonelyness. I change the pitchers, meaning the pot where we put water for the patients. Sometimes a worker named Tacha send us to the central to get some materials like bed pants etc... In the transportation department I always transport the patients to the lobby. While I am transporting the patients, I talk with them and I ask them about how they feel and if theyb are happy to go home. Sometimes I also do filing for my mentor.
6) Some highlights of the fourth week is I am very exited because I am developing my communication skills and I am utilizing my interpersonel skills. The other difficult thing is that at the transportation department we can sometimes seat for 2 hours without doing anything because we don't have patients. I really don't feel comfortable with it because its not challenging and I don't like to seat around. But that's not uour fault if our mentor cannot supply us work to do.
7) I leave school at 11: 40.
8) It takes me 1 hour to get to my internship.
9) I arrive home at 6: 15 pm.
10) my schedule is that I work Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 1pm to 5 pm. In another word I work 4 hours for 3 days.
11) My first mentor, meaning the director of the volunteer department is the one in charge to sign my time card everyday when I intern.
12) There is not much difference for me between the third and the fourth week because I do the same work everyday. The only difference is that I am more adapted to the system and I am increasing my knowledge about what goes around hospitals.
13) The most thing I really like about my internship is that I have the opportunity to interact with patients and I sees what goes around the hospital.
14) So far I have read some students blog such as Daichka and others but I didn't left comments because I didn't know. But starting now I will read and leave comments.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the change to Sister Pat's office a few days a week will give you more opportunities to learn at St. Vincents. You definitely don't want to be bored and unchallenged at your site.

    ReplyDelete